One door closes, another opens

The start of a new adventure.

Jon Ostrower
One door closes, another opens

Yesterday, March 1, was my last day as CNN’s Aviation Editor.

By way of explanation, my departure wasn’t planned — it was instead a function of the tough economics of the news business in the 21st century, which is affecting great people across the network’s digital unit, myself included. I’m grateful for the time, albeit brief, that I had with my creative and thoughtful colleagues at CNN. I will miss them greatly.

So, I’ll take it as a message from the universe. And I’m listening.

I’ve been a professional journalist for a decade now, a turn of events that still surprises no one more than me sitting here in 2018. Things have significantly changed since the last time I authored a blog six years ago. It’s a return to a familiar medium for me, but this is certainly not the same page that began in Boston in 2007 when I was 23 and joined Flightglobal soon thereafter.

I spent five wonderful years at The Wall Street Journal. I’m now a parent and I’d like to think a little wiser and certainly grayer. I’ve made my home in Seattle, one of the epicenters of innovation in aviation.

Jon Ostrower

This page, once again, is the start of an experiment. There will be familiar topics here – new aircraft development, certainly, but also new areas of exploration like the rise of China and electric propulsion or maybe even some unexpected topics altogether.

But at the same time, this page isn’t a destination for me, so much as a waypoint and a placeholder while future plans take shape. There will be observations to share and maybe even some news to break.

As always, you’ll be able to find me in more places than just here. My long-standing perch on Twitter will still remain very active, as will a steady stream of photos on Flickr and Instagram and even a spot on Weibo. And for those of you who might be keen to work with me, I’ve also got the requisite page on Linkedin.

I’m tremendously excited about the road ahead and exploring what comes next. That will become clearer in the days, weeks and months to come. I’ll start again as I closed the last time I did this, asking you to once again stay tuned. And welcome back.

Thank you.

Onward,

Jon Ostrower
March 2, 2018

Show Comments (59)

Comments

• Jean Paul Simonney

Hey Jon,
    We are 10 years followers of your posts …
    The old times with Mary Kirby, on FG !
    You are welcome on our site, English is not a problem …

Jean Paul (Beochien, on Aviasuperforum.)

• flounder

Good luck to you Jon! I’ve followed you for a while now, since your flightblogger days. Keep up the good work, it’s a thrilling time in aviation right now!

• Joe Picarella

Good luck Jon!

• Yaz Obara

Wow. Good luck with your new adventure. Hope everything works out for you and your family.

• Paul Lewis

Good luck Jon!

• Paul

Good luck Jon!

• Bart Noëth

Good luck and all the best Jon! Love to follow your twitter feed and your articles on CNN.

• Gus Freitag

Good luck Jon!

• The Analyst

Hello Jon. You know me by another name but, I can have some fun as “the Analyst” that avoids a lot of trouble in my other identity (no I’m not “Batman” – try again). Anyway, I’m a long standing fan and I wanted to wish you well and tell you how much I look forward to reading your articles and blogs in the future. May the path be smooth under the spring of your step!

• Al

Best of Luck, Jon! I’ll be watching.

• Tom Haines

Best, Jon. You will do great! Looking forward to seeing more.

• Kathry Creedy

Jon, I know you will always be successful because cream rises. Still, I wish you the very best.

• M.

The more things change, the more they return us to the beginnings of time. Good luck my friend — I know you’ll do amazing things. {Hug your girls for me!}

• Bob Hannon

All the best. I’ll be here.

• Fred George

Whoa, Jon. We’re all sure that you’ll land on your feet and find a new path that’s even more exciting and rewarding. We’re looking forward to following your journey.

• Bruce Baker

Sometimes the grass is greener. All the best.

• David Parker Brown

Bring it! So happy to see you back in this medium – exciting and scary at the same time.

• Professor Sabena

Tough standing in for Quest! Smarter faster. Today’s requirement for knowledge has been destroyed by Google’s quest for power via speed. Dumbing down and lack of analysis results in – yes you guessed it – fake news. We have a responsibility to buy newspapers to preserve that sense of freedom.

• Karin Pellmann Unger

New chapters, new adventures – wishing you all the best! Hope to connect soon!

• Volker

Good luck, Jon. I suspect I know what you‘re going through at the moment. All the best, because the best is still ahead of us!

• Justin Hale

Jon,

Congrats on the new adventure!

The thought of you returning to blogging is probably giving some in this industry a sleepless night!

Unplanned as it may be, I know you will turn it into something good… just promise us you’ll be nice 😉

Looking forward to seeing where it takes you next!

Justin

• Sarah

You are amazing cousin. You are taking such a positive approach and I envy you. I know that you will find something great for your next adventure. Love you!

• Jerry Drelling

All the best, Jon. CNN’s loss, for sure.

• David Learmount

You will make your dreams happen, I know it. Good luck while you do it.

• Bob Gedat

All the best, Jon, new frontiers, new challenges, new excitements, will follow you, Bob, aero.at

• Meredith

Similar thing happened in my world 2 years ago and I haven’t looked back, except with gratitude. I know this incredible journey will continue to take you to all sorts of marvelous destinations, Jon!

• Terry Broyles

Best of luck. I thought about you when I read that CNN was changing up their digital division.
    Keep us posted on your next assignment!

• Sean McCormack

Jon — Best of luck! Will see you around Seattle. Sean McCormack

• Jeff Miller

Stay in touch with Aerion. Please send new email. All best, Jeff

• Steve

Change is constant. At the end of the day, it’s all about the different adventures you can have.

• Trevor Meier

Been a long-time fan of your work… honestly I’m excited that you’re blogging again, it’ll be nice to hear from you without the constraints of a big news of.

I don’t know if you’ve considered this but I think you’d be great over at Leeham News. Your style would be a perfect mix and balance for the intelligent, well-sourced curmudgeons over there. They are one of my favourite aviation news outlets but they could use someone like you. I’d love to see some Jon Ostrower energy, insight and humour featured next to their regular reporting.

• Ben

exactly my thinking!

• Jim Proulx

Jon, you will be up and airborne in no time. Best wishes!

• Bob Stangarone

Jon, it happens to all of us and the best of us. The important thing is — you have what it takes to succeed. Just keep the blue side up, stay positive, expand your formidable network, and great things will happen. All the best!

• Denis

Your gifts, talent, curiosity, sense of humour, professionalism and tenacity will firmly carry you wherevere you want to go. I just hope this includes airshows and associated venues so that we can share a few more drinks… or as Frank Sinatra used to sing: « The best is still to come »

• George Liu

Jon, best of luck! We’ll be following and watching you.

• Mike Miller

Transitions are part of life, and I’m sure the best is yet to come. Enjoy the journey, no matter what planes gets you there!

• Kevin Michaels

Jon – I can’t wait to see what you do next. Onward and upward!

• Hans Weber

Best of luck and success for the future, Jon.

• Michael Targett

All the best with the new chapter, Jon!

• David

Good luck Jon. Will miss seeing you on CNN as I did after you left the Wall St. Journal, but I’m sure good things are ahead.

• Richard Aboulafia

Everything you do reflects your tremendous intelligence, experience, and integrity. Can’t wait to hear what you do next, pal!

• Jennifer Ferrero, APR

Maybe you and your family can take that trip to Maui now! Best of luck. Change is good!

• Jay

You’ve done some great work at the Journal and CNN. Thanks for your service!

• Paulo Sergio Martins

There’s a bit of business as usual on the topics you cover and plan to cover from this waypoint, so all the best as usual, and a new page gets a bookmark.

• Fernando Arino Grau

Hi Jon, hope we can meet in person, as your vision for the future of aviation is 100% accurate (the rise of China and Electric propulsion)! You certainly have a special way to report what is going on that is both engaging, passionate and informative! Look forward reading your blog and wish you keep buying “ink by the barrel”, or rather “bandwidth by the Gigabytes”! Best, Fernando!

• Jon Murchison

Long time follower, somewhat shocked to hear your are no longer with CNN but as you say, one door closes and another opens. Look forward to sharing your adventure via this page.

• Javier Lifa

Two thumbs up for you, Jon! Your headline was spot on. Hope you’ll land in another good adventure scenario as a communicator. Best o’ luck!

• Jake

Best of luck to you Jon! I’ve been following you for most of those ten years (strange that in this day and age that’s not a creepy comment) and wish you best of luck on your new chapter!

• Roland Delhomme

Cleared higher, Jon; very nice to find you here. I hope we can see you at Oshkosh one of these days to fully drink in the spectacle and friendships that unite flyers and the aviation world each year, at Oshkosh’s Wittman Field. Seattle birds so well represented there span the oldest and newest from Boeing, and there’s no finer place to take in how people respond to aviation than with over half a million of your closest friends. It’s been wonderful to see your continuing flight through aviation journalism take wing in Seattle, and to watch your audience amd your reach span oceans-all very well deserved. Here’s to the next chapter then; I have no doubt that one day, we’ll read your first post from low earth orbit. Your writing and style have been first class, all the way.

• Andrew

Congratulations on a great aviation run. Keep on Keeping on and I’ll keep following your contributions

• Justin

Best of luck to you! Like many on here have said, been following you for those 10 years and look forward to continuing to read your insights no matter where this journey may take you.

• keesje

Hi Jon, grab the opportunity to spend time with your kid, a great investment! Time to reconsider and follow your dreams,

• Kin

Jon,
    I have been a fan since your days as the Flightblogger. Glad that you are back to blogging again. My travels will take me to Seattle as well, several times a year. I would be happy to connect if the timing is right.

Cheers!

• Mark

Hi Jon,

Good luck to you on your future. I’ve been following your blogs, posts and writings since your days at Flightglobal and have enjoyed your in depth reporting and insight all his time. Keep up the good work.

• Sprectre49

Welcome back!

I am sorry for the career loss but hopefully it works out, I have missed your blog.

• Nohl Martin

We look forward to your good aviation articles and are rooting for you. Tough times in media and journalism and we all need to do what we can to encourage and keep good journalists, like yourself, in the game! – Kestrel Aviation Management and Camber Aviation Management sends our best

• Tom Morgan

I seriously doubt CNN will survive long term as more and more people discover that most of the so-called “news” they broadcast is either made up or unsubstantiated. Good luck to you. Be glad you are out of that mes..

• Luiz Schmidt

Good luck on your new ventures.